Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread



One of my absolute favorite pastimes is baking, especially bread.  My first experience with bread happened when I was in college.  I followed the recipe in the cookbook, except that I figured a longer rising time would be ok.  I mixed and kneaded the dough and set it on top of the refrigerator to rise and headed off to my 8-5 job.  My poor mom came home from work to find dough all over the refrigerator.  I did not try to make bread again for years!  Once I recovered from that traumatic event, I reentered the world of bread making.  I started out doing it the old fashioned way, with two or three rises and loaf pans and the like until I was gifted this bread machine a few years ago.  I tell you, if we ever have to evacuate for a hurricane again, this puppy is coming with us!  This is the recipe I use for our sandwich bread, just a slightly modified version of the one that came in the booklet with my bread machine.  I know that all bread machines work somewhat differently, so you may need to modify my recipe to suit your machine.

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 T dry milk powder
1 T white sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1 T oil
1 1/4 c water
1 t yeast

Pour dry ingredients into bread machine pan.
Add liquid ingredients.
Pour yeast into yeast dispenser.
Settings: Whole Wheat, Bake Sandwich

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment