Saturday, July 30, 2011

The New Orleans Snoball

David and I were introduced to snoballs on the day we arrived in New Orleans, exactly three years ago today.  Our landlord arranged for some people from his church to help us move in.  It was a huge blessing, since Mary was two and I was 35 weeks pregnant with Maggie. Before Jason offered to provide this service to us, we planned on hiring people to help, since I really couldn't carry anything and David certainly couldn't move everything himself!  Well, the moving truck couldn't park in front of our house (he brought down a telephone line trying to!) Instead, he had to park two blocks away.  The guys had to unload all our belongings from the moving truck into pickup trucks and drive everything over to our place and unload again!  And did I mention that New Orleans in July is like unbearably HOT?

Afterwards, some of the guys that helped us moved said that they were going out for snoballs.  We had no idea what they were talking about, so we decided to tag along!  What a wonderful introduction to a New Orleans summertime treat!  A snoball is like a cross between a snocone and an icee: shaved ice with flavored syrup that you can drink with a straw or eat with a spoon.  Even better than the snocone or icee, that have very limited flavor options, the snoball comes in just about any flavor imaginable, traditional flavors like strawberry or raspberry, richer flavors like chocolate or chocolate malt, and local flavors like king cake or hurricane!  They are sold at stands, little shacks really, which are just as prevalent as Walgreen's.  You definitely should know exactly what you want before you get to the window, though!  The snoball stand is about the only place in New Orleans where you'll find quick service and if you're too slow, they'll get upset with you!



This week, I have been on my deathbed.  Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I have been ill.  David's job and I really have a love-hate relationship.  I don't like that he has to work so much, but I love the flexibility that he has.  He was able to work from home all week, so that I could rest in between feeding the hungry boys!  Everyone took wonderful care of me.  Mary had the brilliant idea that a snoball would really help my throat feel better.  The budding thrifty shopper even showed David where I had stored a B1G1 coupon.  So, David and the girls went out to get snoballs for Mama.  Mary chose cotton candy. David and Maggie shared pink lemonade.  I had clear strawberry.  YUM!  It did help my throat feel better for a little while at least.  (I think Mary enjoyed hers, too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment