Friday, July 15, 2011

My Couponing Adventures Part 2


Last week, I began to discuss my adventures in couponing.  See my first post here where I shared about creating a price book and following some blogs. Please remember that I am still a coupon newbie, so I really am just trying to share with you my experiences:)

Armed with my price book in hand, I started collecting coupons.  At the time, we were getting a newspaper, so I clipped the coupons from the coupon inserts.  To begin with, I was very selective, too selective, in the coupons that I clipped.  Because I was too selective, I missed out on a few deals in the beginning.  Now, I clip almost every coupon because you never know when there's going to be an amazing deal on xxxx. When I can predict the future, I'll stop clipping every coupon!

I also find lots of internet coupons by following just a couple of blogs, like MoneySavingMom.com. Sometimes these coupons are offered on manufacturer's websites, sometimes on store websites, sometimes on coupon websites, other times they are Facebook offers.  Usually, you can print two internet coupons per computer.  I am more selective about the internet coupons that I print.  In the beginning, I printed way too many coupons and wasted a lot of ink.  Now, I have a better sense of what coupons I will use. One thing to definitely watch out for with internet coupons is the expiration date.  Often coupons will expire within 30 days, so make sure you will use it prior to the expiration date.

Sometimes I get coupons by requesting samples, which I also read about on blogs.  These samples may come from Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Costco, Target, VocalPoint, or the manufacturer, but more often than not, they come with high-value coupons. 

From what I hear, another great source of coupons is the All You magazine.  Just today I was able to get a free six-month subscription, so I'll let you know what I think of it as a coupon source in the future.

Once I started growing a coupon stockpile, I needed an organizational system.  I like to use an envelope system.  I sort my coupons by category and file them in labeled envelopes.  I store my envelopes in a small storage box that has a handle.  I like this method because, if I am shopping and see something on clearance, I can quickly look to see if I also have a coupon for it.    But, everyone's different, so do what works best for you.  Once a month, I go through my coupons and pull out coupons that have expired. 

I definitely had some misconceptions about coupons to begin with.  First, I thought the coupons were only for junk!  In my newspaper, I found lots and lots of coupons for chips and baking mixes and sugary cereals.  I am more of a whole foods cook, so those things don't often find their way into my pantry.  I really wondered if coupons existed for things that I would buy!  Well, I have found coupons for healthy foods, like whole wheat flour, eggs, milk, oats, fresh pineapple, bagged spinach, potatoes, and mandarin oranges. I also found that I save a bundle by using coupons for toiletries (instead of paying for these items, I usually get them for free or better than free, seriously!)

I also thought that I could always save more by buying a generic product.  Now, I thought that because I was comparing the brand name regular price less the coupon with the price of the generic product.  I have since learned that I can get the product for even less if I wait for a sale to use my coupon.  Doing that often makes the name brand product cheaper than the generic.  Surprisingly, even more savings are possible.  Some stores like Target and Walgreen's have store coupons.  Combine the store coupon AND the manufacturer's coupon AND a sale for maximum savings!  

I'll continue on next week.  Happy shopping, everyone!

2 comments: