Friday, July 22, 2011

My Couponing Adventures Part 3

I want to follow up last week's post about collecting coupons with a few lessons that I have learned in my coupon adventures.

Always take the store's coupon policy with you.  You may be surprised, but sometimes even the managers are not aware of the store's coupon policy.  It is helpful to have their official coupon policy in case there is a dispute regarding the legitimate use of a coupon.

Recently, a clerk at Wal-Mart tried to tell me that I could not use a $1 off coupon for a product because the price of the product was less than $1.  Fortunately, I had the coupon policy with me, which clearly states that when a coupon's value exceeds the cost of the item, the difference should either be refunded to the customer or applied to remaining purchases.  I told the clerk that I knew it didn't really make sense, but it's right there on the coupon policy. 

Below are links to the coupon policies at a few stores that I frequent:
Remember not all stores accept internet coupons, nor are they required to do so.  Any store may refuse to accept your internet coupon!  Try not get into an argument with the clerk or the manager (unless the coupon policy says that they will accept internet coupons).  Trust me, I know from experience, it's fruitless!  Either politely ask the clerk to remove the item from your order or purchase the item without the coupon.  Make a mental note that xxxx store does not accept internet coupons and save your internet coupon purchases for another store.  For my NOLA friends, the K-Mart on Vets does not accept internet coupons.  I think it's kind of ridiculous, since they post them on their website, but I digress! Rouse's also does not accept internet coupons, but at least they don't post them on their website!

A few points of coupon etiquette:
  • Do not photocopy coupons.  This is illegal.
  • Do not use coupons past their expiration date. The scanners won't allow you to do this anyways.
  • Only use coupons for products authorized on the coupon.
  • I know this is going to be controversial, but I would not key in a different zip code in order to find a coupon on a website, such as at coupons.com.  It seems to me that, if a manufacturer restricts a coupon by zip code, it is really only intended for those living in that zip code.  The way I see it, typing in a random zip code to get a coupon is dishonest.
 And one final lesson I have learned is that it's ok to completely let go of couponing from time to time.  Sometimes there are more important things going on in our lives than saving $xx off our grocery budget.  When our twin boys were born, I didn't pay attention to coupons or sales ads or even blogs for a month or so and we still survived.  So, just remember to keep coupons and sales and stockpiles all in perspective!

      1 comment: