Friday, February 10, 2012

Picture Books We Love: Green Eggs and Ham

Some of you may have been wondering when I was going to get around to a Dr. Seuss book.  I LOVE reading Dr. Seuss' books to my kids.  They enjoy the rhymes so much and the whimsical illustrations, too!  We have many, many, many Dr. Seuss books and I was delighted to find Green Eggs and Ham in a stack of books that a friend gave us a while back.  I don't know if I can pick one of Dr. Seuss' books to be my favorite, but this one has a special place in my heart because I remember reading it over and over as a child.

Sam tries to offer green eggs and ham to Mr. No Name and simply will not take no for an answer.  He persists in offering them in different ways, like on a boat or in a tree or with a mouse.  Finally, just to get Sam to stop pestering him, Mr. No Name tries them and finds that he does like them!  I thought after reading this book that I would try to get more veges into my kids by making green eggs, a.k.a. spinach quiche.  It didn't go over very well, but we still love reading this book!  When my kids are leery of trying something new, I remind them of Mr. No Name, who thought he would not like green eggs and ham but found out he did.  Sometimes it helps; sometimes it doesn't.

1 comment:

  1. Ditto from a parent's perspective. I enjoyed reading Dr. Seuss to you and your sister. They were so much fun to read. Green Eggs and Ham was always one of my favorites because it was the first one we had.

    ReplyDelete