Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Do Cats Go To Heaven?

Our diabetic cat, Abraham, affectionately known as Abey, has taken a turn for the worse.  He has not eaten all day.  He has been lying around, moaning.  His eyes look funny and he moves very slowly.  He has not even made his mad dash for the running water.  All this made me think that it's time to prepare the girls for the possibility of his passing.

Mary's immediate reaction was, "If Abraham dies, can we please get a cat that looks just like him?"  Later, we were painting and she painted a cat with the caption, "Our cat Abraham."  Then, she asked me if we could keep the painting forever to remember Abraham.  Just when I was regretting my decision to prepare the girls for this future event, Mary asked, "Do cats go to heaven?"  So, I thought for a while and then concluded, "I don't know." I explained my thought process.  Cats do not have souls like humans do.  They do not have the ability to choose to obey or disobey God.  They follow their natural instinct, which is to always obey God.  So, God certainly won't punish them--that would be unjust.  On the other hand, I don't necessarily know that sinless cats will be in heaven either.  They may be or they may not be.  But, I believe that when we get to heaven, our eyes will be so transfixed by the beauty of the Lord that we won't notice the presence or absence of our furry friends:)

1 comment:

  1. Since God created the animals He must have thought of making a place for them when they die, perhaps a special place just for animals.

    ReplyDelete