Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Enchilada Casserole Recipe

Years ago when we still lived in California, our church put together a book of crockpot recipes.  One of the recipes included was Enchilada Bake.  Of course, I can't seem to leave a recipe alone, so I have modified it over the years.  While I like my food spicy, my kids don't, so this recipe is very mild to suit their palates.  David and I like to add some spice to ours with hot sauce, salsa, or Tony's, whatever we have on hand.  If you like your food spicy (and don't have kids who prefer theirs mild), then you'll want to add more spice.  I make this often because everyone loves it!  Just posting this recipe is reminding me of all the yummy Mexican food we enjoyed in California.  I so wish we had a  Dos Coyotes here!!!

Ingredients:
1 lb. dry pinto beans, cooked
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 t. bottled minced garlic
1 lb. frozen corn
28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
1 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin powder
1 t. salt
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
corn tortillas

1. Saute onion, green pepper and garlic.
2. Add corn, tomatoes, spices and cooked beans and heat.
3. Place 2-3 tortillas in bottom of crockpot (depending on size and shape of your crockpot).
4. Cover with a portion of bean mixture and a portion of cheese.
5. Repeat layers as many times as you like and add remaining cheese on top.
6.  Cook on low for 6 hours.

1 comment:

  1. This looks good. And by the way, I have introduced some of my friends to Tonys. They like it!!

    ReplyDelete