Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Onions, Onions, Onions

Who likes to chop onions? Not me! I tear up so much that I can't even see what I'm doing.  Not very good when handling a sharp implement like a knife!  But, the smell of sauteed onions just can't be beat!  I read this awesome tip a while ago on moneysavingmom.com.  Thanks, Crystal, for the time, money and tear-saving advice!

Whenever I buy onions, I chop off the ends, peel them and quarter them.  That's all of them--every last one in the bag.  Then into the food processor they go.

Once chopped, I measure them by 1/2 cupfuls into small ziploc bags.  I roll them up like little burritos and put them in one big ziploc freezer bag and freeze them.  Whenever a recipe calls for an onion, I just pull one small bag out of the big freezer bag.

Not only is this a huge timesaver for me, but it stretches my onions, too.  I got 13 bags out of one 3-pound bag of onions when I did this the other day.  Around here onions are only $2 a bag, so I don't save a ton of money chopping and freezing onions this way.  I do, however, save a lot of hassle!

No comments:

Post a Comment