Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Mobley Girls Count Their Blessings

More, more, more!  I let the girls watch one short movie.  When it's over, they ask to watch another.  Of course, my answer is no.  Then, the tears flow!  After dinner, I give them each a brownie for dessert.  When they finish, they come and ask for a second "since they were so small."  I answer no.  Again, the tears flow.  The tears scream out to me: More, more, more.  This all, honestly, makes me wish that I hadn't let them watch a movie or eat a brownie in the first place!  Then, the revelation: more, more, more is the cry of the natural man.  That is what I cry without Jesus.  My real need is not another movie or another brownie but salvation from the penalty and power of my sins.  That salvation is only found in Jesus!  The girls know about Jesus, but do not yet know him personally.  This cry of More, More, More! definitely reflects the state of their hearts: restless and unsatisfied.  In the meantime, while we wait upon the Holy Spirit to apply salvation to their hearts, we continue to teach.  We shared with the girls that God has given us so much we can be thankful for!  One Sunday afternoon while I was out shopping, David helped them each make a list of their blessings.  Here they are:

Mary's Blessings (age 5)
  • for the boys
  • for food
  • for my birthday
  • for a place to live
  • for Jesus
  • for yarn to braid
  • for my family
  • for my friends
  • for sports
  • for books
  • for toys
  • for toys (again!)
  • for The Chronicles of Narnia
  • for markers
  • for movies
Maggie's Blessings (soon to be 3)
  • for my birthday
  • for a table
  • for a car seat for my brothers
  • for yarn
  • for my brothers
  • for Miles and Bronwen
  • for my Mama, Daddy and sister
  • for clouds
  • for a pencil box for my birthday
  • for a baby bag

No comments:

Post a Comment