Friday, December 23, 2011

Cheesy Cornbread

Recently, I created a bit of a stir when I commented on Facebook about my culinary failure when I forgot to put the sugar in the cornbread.  Apparently, the thought of sugar in cornbread is borderline offensive to the southern cook!  A friend of mine, who has lived in the South all her life, told me that in these parts such a dish is considered CAKE not BREAD!  The time I forgot the sugar, my five year old, who loves cornbread, looked at me and said, "Mama, this cornbread kind of doesn't taste so good."  There you have it, you can call it what you like, but don't forget the sugar!!

Ingredients:
3/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c white flour
1/2 c cornmeal
1/2 c sugar
1 c grated cheese (or more if you prefer up to 2 c)
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
1 1/4 c milk
1/2 c oil

Stir together dry ingredients (whole wheat flour through salt).
Beat together liquid ingredients (eggs through oil).
Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until everything is moist.
Bake in a greased 8x8 pan at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.


1 comment: