Wednesday, December 28, 2011

10 Ways We Save on Groceries Without Coupons!

Recently, I was talking with a friend while feeding Matthew and Jonathan, who, incidentally, eat a TON!  I mentioned that I was going to increase our grocery budget for 2012 to accommodate these growing boys.  Honestly, I knew the time was coming, but I didn't expect it to come so soon!  My friend was really surprised at how little we spend to feed our family.  I feel like I am constantly striving for the perfect balance between keeping costs down and feeding my family wholesome and healthy foods.  Here are some cost-cutting strategies that I have picked up from wiser and more economical folks out there:

1. Develop a love for oatmeal!  I'm not talking about the stuff that comes in the premeasured packages but either bulk or in big containers.  I very rarely buy cold cereal anymore.  Instead, we have oatmeal most mornings and homemade pancakes or waffles other mornings. 

2. Drink water!  I used to buy soda for David and me and apple juice for the kids.  Now, I only buy soda or juice on very rare occasions when I have a coupon that will make it nearly free or I want to make popsicles with the juice for a special treat.  (We have twins, who still do not sleep through the night, so coffee and tea are considered essentials!)

3. Try powdered milk!  By the gallon, powdered milk is $1 or more cheaper than fresh depending on where you shop.  I use powdered milk for all my cooking and baking, in my coffee, etc.  I even give the girls half powdered and half fresh when serving a glass of milk.  From my research,  fresh and powdered milk are nutritionally the same.

4. Use less meat!  Unless I see a great, I mean great, sale, I buy less than 2 pounds of meat a month.  I buy 2 14 oz. packages of turkey sausage on my monthly Wal-Mart trip to use in split pea and lentil soup.  I also splurge for a turkey at Thanksgiving and a ham at Christmas.

5. Use dry beans and legumes!  I have always made a lot of dishes with beans and legumes, but I used to buy them in cans.  It's so much cheaper to buy them dry and cook them yourself, so that's what I do now.  They are an excellent source of protein.

6.  Make yogurt!  I used some gift money to purchase a yogurt maker and started making my own yogurt.  It's so much cheaper than buying all natural or Greek yogurt.  And it's way cheaper than buying that baby yogurt!

7.  Skip the ice cream!  I am a huge fan of ice cream.  It can be below 0 outside and I will still want ice cream.  I used to consider it a main staple.  Now, I realize it is expensive and, sadly, nonessential.  Sometimes, we do splurge and buy ice cream, but more often, I make a dessert at home.

8. Check out the drug store!  Believe it or not, I frequently buy some major staples at Walgreen's: peanuts (to make homemade peanut butter), eggs and butter!  Usually, there is a limit on the quantity that you can purchase and they tend to sell out quickly, so I go at the beginning of the sale and get as many as I can per the ad.  Then, on Saturday when I am doing my regular grocery shopping, I drop by again and they will of course be out, but I can get a rain check and get the item the following Saturday at the previous week's price.

9.  Stock up!  I keep a price list, a list of grocery items and their cost at various stores.  When I see a good price on something, I buy enough to last until the next sale.  Now, this is an area where you do need to be considerate of others and not clear the shelves entirely!

10.  Get creative!  I have certain spices in my spice drawer that I use all the time.  I have others that I use only very rarely.  Recently, I used the last of my sage.  Instead of buying more right away, I'm experimenting with some of those other spices that I use less frequently, like savory.  Of course, this doesn't work with some spices, like what can you substitute for chili powder in chili?

And when all else fails, put everyone on a diet:)

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to see some of your menu plans, even though I don't ever see us using that little meat. I know your girls like spaghetti as much as mine, and I recently discovered an inexpensive way to make sauce when you can't find it on sale. You can buy the big 102 oz can of tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes (which I like the texture better of) for under $3 at Sam's Club. I seasoned the whole thing and added some meat and then after dinner froze the rest. I think I ended up with 6 jars in the freezer and now its ready to be pulled out as needed. One jar of sauce will be enough for dinner and some leftovers. You could also freeze smaller portions for pizza sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the spaghetti sauce tip, Pam! I think I am going to try it out because it's a lot cheaper. What did you freeze your sauce in? I checked out the diced tomatoes, too, and they're a lot cheaper, too. Maybe I'll start buying the tomatoes that way and freezing them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This time I used Ball Jars and one reused spaghetti jar, but freezer bags would be fine too. We were just running low on those. When James and I first got married, a small can of seasoned tomato sauce was just the right amount,then as we started adding kids it wasn't enough and we just got in the habit of buying sauce for convenience. I also bought the Spicy Spaghetti Seasoning from Sam's. It wasn't spicy, and it included some things like dehydrated bell pepper that I wouldn't have normally added. Even though I added meat, it was less than if I had been making individual batches of spaghetti too. Everyone liked it. I'll have to check out the diced tomatoes too, since I use them mostly in soups I don't think there would be a noticeable quality loss.

    ReplyDelete