Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ultra Quick Yeast Buns

Have I mentioned that I love making bread?  I found this recipe in the David Food Co-Op newsletter nearly ten years ago and have been making these buns for special occasions ever since.  I use my Kitchen Aid mixer to make these rather than the bread machine. 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk scalded
6 T butter
1 t salt
1 T honey
1 T sugar
1/4 c warm water
2 t yeast
1 t sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 c wheat flour
2 T gluten flour (I didn't have this, so I just substituted whole wheat flour)

1. Scald milk and add butter, salt, honey, and sugar.  Set aside to cool.
2. Mix warm water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl and set aside to proof.
3. When milk mixture is lukewarm, add to yeast mixture along with egg.
4. Beat in gluten flour (if using) and 1 cup white flour.  Stir in whole wheat flour and remaining white flour.
5. Knead, adding more flour as needed to make a firm but moist dough.  Cover and let stand 15 minutes.
6. Divide into 12 pieces and shape into buns.  Place on lightly greased cookie sheets.  Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 25 minutes.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I have eaten these rolls and they are quite yummy. Perhaps I will even try to make some this year for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete