Tuesday, November 29, 2011

True Rest

I read this quote in Victory in Jesus by P.G. Mathew this morning.  It really touched my heart and brought me great joy in reflecting on the recent death of my Aunt Mary Jo, a wonderful woman full of love for her Savior, Jesus Christ:
The people of Israel enjoyed a certain rest when they received their portion of land in Canaan, but the rest Christ gives us has nothing to do with real estate.  Paul spoke of this greater rest: "I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far" (Phil. 1:23).  So the farewell message of Joshua son of Nun to us is this: "Look not to me, but to the greater Joshua, Jesus Christ.  He is the Lord of salvation, and he will give you the true rest of heaven." The future rest for believers is eternal glory and everlasting bliss.  It is living in the house of the Lord and seeing him face to face.  It is joy unspeakable and full of glory.  It is life with Christ forever. (emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment