Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Great Splenda Stock-Up



The last time I bought Splenda, I found a broken box in the As Is section at Sam's.  It was a big box of 1,000 packets for $10.  (For my NOLA friends, the As Is section is near the bakery on the right side.  I always check it out when I'm there.)  I think that was a couple of year's ago and we finally used it all up.  We like to use Splenda in tea and now David likes to take it to work with him to sweeten his yogurt.  I've been on the lookout for a great deal on this stuff.  Last week, I found these boxes on clearance at my Walgreen's.  They were marked down to $2.89, so I bought four and used four $2 off coupons from Splenda's website.  In the land of no double coupons, that's a pretty good deal.  Then, I also found a $3 off coupon in the newspaper.  I guess I could have used that at Walgreen's, too, but you know, I really didn't feel like haggling with them about their coupon policy to get them to give me a box for free, so I just took my coupon with me to Wal-Mart.  The packages are regularly $3.98 there, so it came to $0.98 after the coupon.  Five boxes for under $5 and now I don't need to think about Splenda for quite some time!

You may be wondering, why the peanut butter container?  That is the excitement of shopping in New Orleans.  While I was at Wal-Mart, there was a ginormous thunderstorm and the lights went out.  Fortunately, Wal-Mart is prepared for such things and the back-up generators kicked in right away.  There was a huge line of people at the door waiting for the storm to die down, but I was just looking at my watch thinking the boys were in desperate straits, on the verge of starvation, so I ventured through the torrential downpour without an umbrella or a jacket to the van!  The outside of the Splenda box did get a little bit soggy and was sacrificed for the sake of the boys, but the peanut butter jar is a wonderful stand-in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment