Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Family of God

In Muscular Christianity, P.G. Mathew discusses the practical application of Hebrews 10:24 and says this:

As members of the family of God, we love both our Father and his children.  When people are in love, they want to be with each other.  Nothing can keep lovers apart.  They think up ways to be together.  Love knows no obstacles.  It is the same in the family of God.  We come from far and wide to worship and have fellowship with the people of God.  We know each other's needs and take care of them.  When one member suffers, we all suffer; when one rejoices, we all rejoice.  We think up ways to spur one another on to love.  Love is evident everywhere--a love that translates into deeds done to help God's people.  We spend our time, talents, and money to help others, especially the household of God. 

I recently experienced this outpouring of love from the family of God.  I was sick.  Coughing, sneezing, fever, headache, sore throat, achy, exhausted.  David had to go out of town for the week for his work.  He left me on a Sunday afternoon with four children to care for when I really felt like I needed someone to care for me!  Someone did!  On Sunday evening, a friend brought me dinner.  On Monday morning, another friend called out of the blue to see if she could take Mary to Sports Camp.   On Tuesday, another friend brought me dinner.  On Wednesday morning, that same friend watched Maggie so that I could take Matthew and Jonathan in to the doctor.  On Friday, another friend took Mary shopping and to play at her house for several hours.  Another friend and her husband offered to pick David up from the airport for me.  To me, this is the picture of the kind of active love described here.

No comments:

Post a Comment