Monday, June 27, 2011

Why I Didn't Clean Last Week

We are back onto our cleaning schedule this week after taking a week off.  No, my task manager program did not fail me.  Actually, our pastor and his wife have begun the process of adopting a baby boy from Ethiopia (read about it here).  International adoption is very expensive, so they are planning several fundraisers, the first of which is a yard sale.  We took the week off of cleaning and spent that time going through the house trying to find things to donate to their yard sale.  Thank you, Chad and Cole, for the motivation to declutter!

What works best for us in this season of life is to clean a little bit each day:
  • Mondays--kitchen and dining room and take out the trash
  • Tuesdays--bathrooms
  • Wednesdays--dust or clean the picture frames/mirrors (alternating weeks)
  • Thursdays--vacuum the floors and couches, take out recycling, clean living room windows
  • Fridays--miscellaneous monthly or less frequent tasks
  • Saturdays--yardwork
I keep track of my tasks here. I am loving our new system!  I am better able to train the girls to help in short periods of time.  Cleaning tasks are not so overwhelming anymore because, by cleaning at regular intervals, things actually stay cleaner.  Now, if we have a party or have out-of-town guests come to visit, I don't have to dread the deep cleaning that has to be done either because I've been keeping on top of it!  And, best of all, I don't have to think. I just check my task manager to find out what I'm supposed to clean every day.  Definitely a good thing, since I lost most of my brain cells on March 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment