Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mundane or Meaningful?

As a stay-at-home mom, my days are certainly filled with seemingly mundane tasks.  There are diapers to change, stains to remove from clothes (and walls and furniture), coupons to be clipped, scrapes to be cleaned and bandaged, dishes to be washed, not to mention the endless requests for drinks and snacks!  Is there meaning or significance in any of this?  Too often I am prone to think there is not. 

Paul writes, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31).  All of life is worship!  I am going to repeat that: ALL of life is worship!  When I change a diaper, I can worship God.  When I wash the dishes, I can worship God.  When I make food for my family, I can worship God.  I can even clip coupons to the glory of God!

I tend to think that I am serving God when I teach Sunday School but not when I act out stories with teddy bear counters.  I tend to think that I am serving God when I serve dinner at church but not when I serve peanut butter and honey sandwiches to my kiddos.  I tend to think that I worship God when I write a check to the church but not when I write a check for the water bill.  What Paul says here, though, is that every thing I do can and should be done as an act of worship to God!  YES!  The work that I do at home has eternal significance!  Let's be encouraged and set out this week to do everything for the glory of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment