Saturday, April 25, 2020

The Faith of Joseph

Certainly, the story of Joseph found in the book of Genesis is one of the most exciting in Scripture. Favoritism and jealousy. Seduction and lies. Clemency and execution.  Rags and riches. Guilt and forgiveness. My devotions were action-packed, for sure.

There is so much to glean from the story of Joseph. Flee from sin. Trust in God's sovereignty. Forgive your enemies. Every gift is from God and for His glory. But, this time around, God was teaching me something different. So many questions surfaced in my mind, all about Joseph's faith. Clearly, Joseph was a man of strong faith. What did that faith look like from day to day? Did he ever question God? Did he ask God WHY? Why did you allow this to happen? Did he ask God WHY? Why am I here? Personally, when I am going through a hard spell, I pray, read God's Word, and talk and pray with a trusted friend. These are things that God uses to encourage me and to strengthen my faith when it is tested. So, I'm wondering about Joseph because he had no written word and probably no comrades. His would-be comrades were the ones who landed him in slavery and ultimately a jail cell. So, I am left to conclude that (1)  God alone was not only the source of his faith but also the sustainer of his faith and (2) God's Word was in his heart.

So, my application from this text is to work hard to hide God's Word in my heart. Who knows? The time may come when God's word is taken from us. If that happens, then what will we have? Only what is in our hearts. Even if we retain access to God's Word, we may lose our eyesight. We may lose our hearing. We may lose our minds. BUT, no one can take away what is in our hearts. 

A long time ago, I played piano for a church service in a retirement home. There was this one woman named Elizabeth, who suffered from Alzheimer's. During our 20 minute service, she would shout out probably at least ten times the same thing, "I LOVE you. I just LOVE you and THANK you." It was kind of annoying, but also heart-warming. Over the years, this woman had stored up love for God and His Word and that came out of her mouth over and over and over. She just didn't remember she had said it already. I hope that when I am old and gray and in a retirement home that God's Word will continue to pour forth from my mouth. But, more importantly, I hope that the Word will bear the fruit of a heart dedicated to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment