Tuesday, April 14, 2020

I AM the Resurrection and the Life

Our pastor has been preaching through the seven I AM statements of Jesus. On Easter Sunday, the sermon was, quite appropriately, on Jesus' statement found in John 11:15 I am the resurrection and the life. I have honestly always read this and thought about it in terms of Jesus being the only One who can give us spiritual life. Through the sermon and reflection time afterwards, God is showing me that this also applies to my life here on earth.

Over the past several months, a sinful discontentment has been rising within my heart. Every single one of my kids is going through their own unique trials crafted by God's loving hands, but sometimes it is just overwhelming to try to walk with each one of them through their trials. I am so often tempted to give up. Often, I have the thought that life would be so much easier if they just went to public school. Maybe you want to know, what really is so hard about being a stay-at-home mom?

Not one particular thing, honestly. Parenting and discipleship is just emotionally exhausting. When I try to help two parties to make peace, but it really doesn't seem like they even want to reconcile, it is exhausting. When I have to confront one of the kids about a sin, but I know I will be met with hostility and blame-shifting and finger-pointing, it is exhausting. When I have to remind someone again and again to do something knowing full well that they will not appreciate the reminder and STILL forget, it is exhausting. And exhaustion leads to frustration and frustration leads to discouragement and discouragement leads to quitting.

So, I am convinced that I need to draw strength moment by moment from the source of life, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment