Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Conflict

I really like the abbreviated term for coronavirus: COVID. In our house, I believe it stands for: Come Out Vexation In Droves. Seriously. The conflict in this house has increased. A LOT! More often than not the fighting is over such petty things. I'll give you five examples of real situations.
  • Who will be the first to do Veritas Bible--Come on, really? You wanna fight about being the first to learn about the Prince of Peace?!?
  • What route we take on our run/bikeride--Whatever route we take, we're gonna start at the same spot and end at the same spot, talk to no one, touch nothing, and the distance will be the same. Does it really matter?
  • Thefts--OK, I almost understand this, except the item that we're talking about is a...PENCIL. A PENCIL. Yellow. No eraser. #2. No finger grip. No design. Geez. If you wanna fight for a pencil, at least make it for one with an eraser!
  • Looks--Mama, he's looking at me! You are sitting across from him. Of course, he's looking at you. Yea, but he's looking at me THAT way. Calm down. It has nothing to do with you. He just doesn't like what we're eating.
  • Who has to (insert any chore here)--This one makes no sense to me. By the time they figure out who was the last person to do it and work out some system for who should do it now, it could have been done ten times.
It is funny to recount these now, but, in the moment, they are far from pleasant. I feel like a broken record. Let these two principles govern your actions: (1) Love one another and (2) Do to others what you would have them do to you. But, it just doesn't sink in. CONFLICT! I often feel like I am trying to help people make peace who don't even want to make peace. That is kind sorta really really hard. I actually gave myself a time out yesterday. In the car. 

One of my pastors says, "God does not waste anything." In my frustration with all the conflict, I was missing seeing God's purpose. I'm sure there are many purposes for the conflict, but here are a few things that I am thinking about. 
  1. Sin is in us. As long as we live on this earth, we will battle against sin. Sin in our hearts will tempt us to be self-loving and other-hating. Sin will breed quarrels. 
  2. Jesus died for our sins. God sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross. He suffered the penalty for sin for one reason: LOVE. It is only by faith in His sacrificial love for us that we can have peace with God.
  3. This world is not my home. I am just passing through this world. I am not going to get comfy here. There are going to be quarrels and fighting this side of heaven. I am so looking forward to eternity in heaven with a holy and righteous God. No crying. No pain. No fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment