Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

I'll just go ahead and apologize for the missing photo.  Let me just say I am having issues with Blogger right now.  Some of you have been asking me for my pizza dough recipe.  Finally, I am getting around to posting it.  I make this so much that I don't even need to look at the recipe anymore.

Ingredients:
1 t yeast
3 cups flour (I use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat and 1 1/2 cups white)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 T milk powder
2 T sugar
1 t salt
1 T oil
1 1/4 cups water

Directions:
  1. Pour dry ingredients into bread machine.  Then, add liquids.  Pour yeast into yeast dispenser.  Use the pizza setting if you have one.  On my bread machine, this setting takes 45 minutes.  (Adjust the directions in this step to suit your bread machine, if you have one.  I have never tried it without the bread machine, but I think you would just mix everything together until you have a nice dough and let it rise for 45 minutes.)
  2. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until it becomes elastic.
  3. Divide into two balls and let rest for 10 minutes.
  4. Roll each ball into desired pizza shape on a greased pan.  Prick with a fork.
  5. Let rest for 15 minutes.
  6. Bake at 340 degrees for 10 minutes.
  7. Add toppings and bake for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.  
We usually have our pizza vegetarian style, but the girls pick the veges off if they are visible, so I just add them to the sauce and blend everything together.  Oddly enough, the girls know what goes into the sauce and they recognize that they like the veges in the sauce but not as individual toppings.  Strange, but I'll go with what works! 

This is my method:
Saute an onion, some garlic, a chopped green pepper, up to 8 oz. sliced mushrooms and carrot and/or celery if you wish.  Add 14-16 oz. tomato sauce, a little sugar and a little salt.  Simmer this mixture for as long as you want.  Then, puree it all.  Brush this on the baked dough and top with ~three cups grated mozzarella cheese (total for both pizzas.)  Bake for an additional 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment