Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Colloquialisms and Snoballs

I know it has been a long time since I have posted some recent pictures of Matthew and Jonathan.  They are the funnest babies when they wake up.  They each stand up in their cribs and just laugh at each other.  They also throw their blankets on the floor and laugh hysterically at the accomplishment. 

Yesterday, I took the whole crew to Walgreen's to pick up a picture (Father's Day surprise for David!) and get more children's pain reliever (I'm sure whoever invented this stuff is raking in the dough!).  While I was looking for the pain reliever, the pharmacist saw the boys in the stroller and said, "MMMMM....They are FINE!"  OK, maybe I shop at Walgreen's a little too much if the pharmacist recognizes me or maybe I am the only one gutsy enough to take four children into the store???  I am getting around to the point of this post, I promise.  In between flea bites, I have actually been getting the teensiest bit sad about leaving New Orleans.  Then, I get another flea bite and I snap out of it:)  Colloquialisms.  I will definitely miss them.  If someone tells you that your baby is fine, that is a HUGE compliment.  It doesn't mean your baby is ok.  It means that your baby is, well, healthy is the nice way of putting it.  Others might say chunky, chubby, pudgy, you know, the way that babies are supposed to look! If your baby has rolls and more than one chin, then your baby is FINE!

Recently, a new grocery store opened up a few blocks away.  I was thrilled because it is the store where I prefer to buy most of our produce and dairy.  While checking out, I told the clerk that I was sooooo glad that they opened.  She asked me, "Do you stay close by?"  That's how you ask someone where they live.  You don't live anywhere in New Orleans.  You stay.

And just one more, which really caught me off guard the first time I heard it.  My girls are always talking about birthdays.  Frequently, they'll tell the cashiers when their next birthday is going to be.  Everywhere else I have lived, one would then ask, "How old are you going to turn on your birthday?" or something of the sort.  Here, the question is, "What year will you make?" or something of the sort.  Also, instead of saying that my boys are one, you could say that my boys just made one. 

Another thing I will miss about New Orleans are the snoballs (yes, I did spell that correctly!).  Snoballs are the glorified snow cone.  Shaved ice, syrup and artificial flavoring.  They are the perfect refreshment on hot and humid summer days as long as you can look past the artificial stuff you're ingesting:)  And, there are so many flavors to choose from, you could buy a different flavor each day for a whole month and never exhaust the options!  Plus, it's always fun to have a purple tongue for a little while! 

And that's all that I time for tonight, but the list does not end there.  Maybe I can post some more soon...



1 comment: