Thursday, October 6, 2011

Picture Books We Love: Leo the Late Bloomer

I probably enjoy Leo the Late Bloomer by Robert Kraus more than my kids!  It brings tears to my eyes every time.  Poor Leo.  His peers can read, write, draw, eat neatly, and talk.  But not Leo.  His parents watch and wait and watch and wait.  Then, suddenly, Leo blooms!  He can read.  He can write.  He can draw.  He can eat neatly.  And, he blurts out, "I made it!"  What a great encouragement for children when trying to learn new skills!  As I'm writing this, I'm thinking that I really need to read this to Maggie again.  She wants to do things by herself just like her big sister, but sometimes her dexterity just doesn't match her desire!  Then, she becomes frustrated that she needs help.  I want her to know that it's okay that she needs a little bit of help every now and then...she'll get there, just like Leo!

No comments:

Post a Comment