Saturday, October 29, 2011

Homeschool Resources: Science Arts

My mother-in-law, who incidentally homeschooled both my husband and his brother from infancy until they went off to college, gave me this book nearly two years ago.  This is the very first "science" book that I used in our homeschooling journey.  To begin with, I am not a science person at all.  I took science in high school because I had to.  I took one lab science (chemistry) my freshman year in college because, you guessed it, I had to.  I did well in the class, but I can't really say that I enjoyed it.  Well, actually I loved mole conversions, yea for math!  Go figure, I married a scientist, a physicist who teaches chemistry.  On occasion I have overheard my husband talking science.  It is like he lives a double life...he speaks to others in a language that I can't comprehend!  OK, so now you really know where I'm coming from.  Clueless about science!

I love this book!  It is a compilation of fun art projects that also teach science.  I loved having art, I mean, science projects laid out for me in such an easy to use format.  Let's face it, given my awesome science background, I certainly was not going to come up with anything like what's offered here on my own!  (My plan was to rely on my husband, the scientist, but he's trying to get tenure and just doesn't have the time right now.)  The activities are divided into five areas: (1) water and air, (2) light and sight, (3) motion and energy, (4) reaction and matter, and (5) nature and earth.  For each activity, the authors include a list of materials, directions to complete the art project, as well a scientific explanation.  And, even I, proud to be included among the scientifically challenged, was able to assemble the materials, follow the directions, and have fun getting a little messy with my then three year old! 

We had so much fun doing the art projects together. Some activities that we particularly enjoyed were:
  • cube painting (freezing/melting)
  • stretch pictures (optical illusion)
  • dot matrix picture (optics)
  • shadow time (earth's rotation)
  • paint racing (gravity)
  • volcano (pressure/gases)
  • marshmallow tower (engineering)
  • plant imprints (pigments)
  • stencil leaves (patterns/shapes/structure of leaves)
I love this approach to science for the preschool years!  Kids love to use their hands, get messy, and create!  With these activities, you are also introducing them to the principles of science!

No comments:

Post a Comment