Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Mobley Facelift Part 4

The living room is probably the one room in our house that needed the most attention. We really live in our living room and it showed! There were toys and books all over as well as a school table and a desk that looked like it belonged in an office. The first thing I did was to move the children's bookshelves and school table upstairs. We had a hutch on top of the desk that had all sorts of things, like envelopes and colored paper and miscellaneous software, etc. I cleared all that stuff off and moved the hutch into the garage. I moved the manuals and reams of paper into the pantry and most of the other things into a filing cabinet in the laundry room.  The desk no longer screams, "I am an office!" This also left a lot of empty wall space, though, so I picked up a couple wall decorations from Bed, Bath and Beyond, which, by the way, is not the best place to shop with four kids five and under. 

I also picked up a super-long curtain rod from Home Depot (after discovering the one I bought at Wal-Mart was too short) and three sheer panels from Wal-Mart to highlight the beautiful windows we have looking into our backyard.  Incidentally, I made an attempt at some fancy action with a window scarf but quickly concluded that sort of thing requires much more flair than I have.

Lastly, I moved the big oak bookshelf from the front room into this room, resulting in a bookshelf on either side of the hallway. I also found this beautiful fan that one of David's students had given us and placed it on top of the bookshelf on a bookstand. 
 
This is the new view as you enter the living room from the hallway that leads to the bedrooms.


This is the view of the living room as you enter from the kitchen.

This is the view as you walk through the living room to go to the bedrooms or upstairs.

And you may be wondering where all the toys went???  They are hidden in the coffee table drawers!





1 comment:

  1. Can you come do a face lift for my home? I love what you have done.

    ReplyDelete