Monday, January 23, 2012

A Number of Firsts!

On Saturday, all six of us took a grand adventure to Ocean Springs, Mississippi, for a judo tournament.  This was our first all-day outing with the boys, a huge endeavor.  This was our first trip to Mississippi.  And, this was my first judo tournament.  I wasn't actually planning to go because, well, I just wasn't really up for the challenge of handling the boys all day in a gymnasium not to mention the 1 1/2 hour drive there and back in the car.  For some reason, though, I woke up and was determined to make it work.  Although I was a little bit worried when half of the food I had packed for the boys was consumed before 9:30, the boys did great and even slept for a little while in a very crowded and noisy gymnasium!  I am so glad I was able to be there to support Mary!  Although she lost both of her matches, I am so proud of her for going and doing her best!

As soon as her name was called, Mary galloped over with great excitement to sit "on deck"!  For most of the first match, it looked like Mary was trying to ride her opponent like a horse.  Mary even held her down for a bit, but not long enough to score any points.  She didn't do quite as much riding during the second match, but her opponent had scored more points and so she won.  Still, Mary came home with the third place trophy and is looking forward to the next tournament.

I did notice that the other clubs that were represented seemed to overemphasize winning.  We have been trying to teach Mary that it is more important how she conducts herself than whether she wins or loses.  My heart broke for some of these kids.  They were weeping because they lost.  And, in some cases, there was no one there to comfort them.  This has made me think about a few things.  First of all, I am so thankful that God's love in Christ is unconditional!  My acceptance is grounded not in my performance but solely in His love for me.  Secondly, I want my children to know that I love them.  I love them when they win.  I love them when they lose.  I love them.  My approval can neither be won or lost based upon a three-minute match.  Thirdly, I want my children to know God loves them and their happiness will be found in living to please Him not in trying to please other people around them.

And another note.  While we were there, we met a man, who also competed in the seniors, who has two sets of twin boys!  Can you imagine???  Apparently, he and his wife had a boy.  Then, they really wanted to have a girl.  Instead, they had twin boys.  So, they decided to try again for a girl.  Twin boys again!  The older set competed in their division and took first and second place:)

1 comment:

  1. I think that everyone did a great job, you with the boys. I would have been leery of taking them into a noisy gym especially after a long car ride. Way to go Mary. Third place is terrific. This is her first year doing judo and she gets third place. Fantastic! However you are right, it isn't the winning that counts it is how you played.

    ReplyDelete