Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Breakfast Oatmeal

When we set out to reduce our grocery budget, one big change we made was to start having oatmeal for breakfast.  Not only is oatmeal less expensive than ready-to-eat cereals, but it's more filling and better for you, too.  Admittedly, it took a while to find a recipe that was palatable for my family.  Once I landed on this version, I haven't looked elsewhere!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 c water
2 c quick oats
2 T sugar (preferably brown)
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 c milk
honey

  1. Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. 
  2. Add oats.  Stir and reduce heat to low.
  3. Add sugar and cinnamon.  Cook on low for one minute.
  4. Add milk and simmer 2 minutes longer.
  5. Serve with honey drizzled on top, preferably in the form of a smiley face or an M.

Of course, you can jazz up this recipe with dried fruits or nuts or whatever else you fancy.  We're kind of plain Janes and Joes, so we like it best just the way it is.  Okay, I confess, one time I did add chocolate chips!

1 comment:

  1. I am not usually a big oatmeal eater at home, but I like this oatmeal. On some days I have even had a second serving!!!

    ReplyDelete