Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Our Last Beignets!

Today, we had to leave the premises for another broker's open.  (Yes, we are still trying to sell our beautiful home, which I worked so hard to redecorate!  Please pray as we have a showing tomorrow and one either on Sunday or Monday!) 

Maggie
Mary
I took this opportunity to pick up some N'Awlins gifts for Aunt Alicia, Uncle Steve and the cousins.  Since we were really close to the mall that has a Cafe DuMonde, I treated the kids to beignets one last time (whimper, whimper)!  The pictures are really not very good because in all the chaos of trying to make the house look spotless (ha, ha), gathering the twenty or so library books (we went to the library afterwards), preparing lunch and drinks for everyone, and changing dirty diapers, I forgot the camera.  Fortunately, I was able to figure out how to take pictures with my phone on the fly. 
Jonathan
Matthew

I don't know if you can really get a sense from these pictures, but the boys were covered from head to toe in powdered sugar even though I dumped most of it off beforehand!  While I was trying to photograph the messies, Mary picked up a handful of powdered sugar and stuffed it in her mouth.  She is still wide awake! 

While the boys were still munching on their beignets, the girls played on the platform and watched the waterfall.  All the way to the library, they kept telling me, "That was so much fun!" 

Even though I am not much of a fried foodie, I am definitely going to miss a few New Orleans hot spots. 

  1. Morning Call--I prefer the beignets from Morning Call over Cafe Du Monde because you have control over the powdered sugar.  Also, it is so much easier to park!  
  2. New Orleans Food and Spirits--I don't think that I would categorize this restaurant as fancy, but I love it because you get great food for a great price.  A lot of the food is creamy or fried, but I always order blackened tuna and have never been disappointed.  The other plus is that it is such a kid-friendly place.  We already have plans to order food from there on July 9, our last night here. 
  3. Surrey's--This place stands out for its delicious breakfast and uniquely New Orleans ambiance.  Also, kid-friendly, I don't think we go anywhere that's not.  They also have excellent (and pricey) freshly squeezed juice.  
  4. Mona's Cafe--This is one of a few restaurants on the regular lunch rotation for David's department.  Excellent Middle-Eastern food.  Humungous portions, too.
These restaurants are not normally listed on typical "Best of New Orleans" lists, but I don't think I would classify myself as normal anyways:)

No comments:

Post a Comment