Saturday, June 23, 2012

Chop, Chop, Chop

After mowing the grass on Thursday, I filled up the baby pool with water to cool everyone off. I don't know how other families handle the yard work, but my strategy is to put one boy in the exersaucer and one in the jumperoo on the porch. This works well for me, especially since the sisters are constantly buzzing around providing sufficient comic relief! Everyone was really hot and sweaty and appreciated the water. It was Matthew and Jonathan's first swim. Even though the pool was really crowded, everyone enjoyed themselves. The boys were so happy to be able to splash water everywhere--in the pool, out of the pool, on each other. (Keeping the water in the bathtub is a major issue these days!)  Jonathan did crawl out of the pool and got himself covered in grass, since I use a mulching mower!

You might think that would be enough excitement for one week. No way!  Not for us Mobleys.  Mary begged for me to cut her hair again (the day after she said that she wanted to grow it long again!)  She really doesn't like to wear hairbands, so she wanted it really short so that she could keep it out of her eyes without them.  Then, of course, Maggie wanted hers cut, too, but not as short as Mary's!The funny thing is, after years of struggling with Mary and hairbands, we had finally agreed upon a hairstyle, one hairband on each side and then one joining the two ponies in the middle.  Oh, well.  I think the short hair cuts are really cute and at last I am free from the morning torture routine!

Then, I realized that Matthew and Jonathan were looking pretty shaggy around the edges, too, so I got the clippers out and gave them their first haircuts!  I knew they would be squirmy wormies, so I fastened them in their high chairs for the blessed event.  In retrospect a five-point harness would be preferable.  I started with Jonathan.  I just handed him a cheese stick and gave him a five all over.  Then, I did the same to Matthew and the torture session was over.  With the new haircuts, they look more grown up to me (sigh) and they look a lot more alike, since Matthew's curls are gone!

To top it off, I also took the munchkins in for their 15-month check-up.  These boys are such troopers when it comes to shots, especially Matthew.  He didn't even cry at all.  He is our little tough guy.  I am still flabbergasted at what God has done for these boys.  For the first time ever, the doctor gave us a good report and said, "See ya in three months!"  She had no concerns with their weight or development.  What a relief!  Up to this point, the two words that can describe Matthew and Jonathan are LOW and SLOW!  Low in the weight department and slow in the development department.  Although such things should not be a reflection on my caregiving, it has been difficult not to interpret LOW and SLOW to mean that I am a very bad Mama.  After all I am the round-the-clock caregiver.  And, what other performance evaluations do I get?  But, these boys have gone from LOW and SLOW to normal.  They are now perfectly proportioned according to the growth charts, Jonathan at 25 percent for both height and weight and Matthew at 5-10 percent for both height and weight.  Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment