Monday, March 30, 2020

Staying Connected

The COVID-19 pandemic has turned so many households and routines upside down. In our case, David is now working at home in his new office in our closet. Closets, I have found, are extremely versatile. This closet has served as a bedroom for Josiah first and then Chaeli. It has also served as a sewing room for me where I cut and sewed Mary's Glinda costume. Now, it is a home office for The Professor. This week he begins teaching virtually, which is actually not a big adjustment for him, since he uses Zoom often in his work. This has been a huge challenge for many professors, but it's a win for the geeks. One huge benefit for our family of this outbreak is the limits on travel. I know some may be really disappointed by this, but for those of us with spouses who travel often for work, it's a win. In fact, I am even hoping that once people see how much can be accomplished virtually that his future work travel will be reduced!

For the kids, we are continuing with school as usual. On Tuesdays, they take classes at a Learning Center through our charter school. Those classes are now virtual and are 45 minutes each rather than 90 minutes. The kids no longer have soccer or swimming, but they have still been able to get exercise running, riding bikes, jumping in the trampoline, and even climbing up and down their triple bunk bed. Really, who needs a climbing gym? At first, the closure of pools was an adjustment for me. I just really like having a little bit of time when the house is actually quiet. Crazy, I know. So, now we have a mandatory quiet time in the afternoon. One hour of reading in your room. Even for Mama. It is the highlight of my day because it is the time when I am able to read and study and reflect on God's Word, which is the source of any strength I possess.

While these changes have been minimal, our church lives have been changed significantly. Our lives are centered around our church and church functions, so we spend a lot of time there. Bible studies, AWANA, Youth Group, Maintenance Team, and Sunday Worship. I didn't even realize until now, that with all these combined, some fraction of us are at church six days out of seven. Of course, since the stay at home order, none of this is happening at church. But, that does not mean that it is not happening. Our leaders have worked very hard to establish ways in which we can remain connected as a church during this stay at home order and for this I am extremely grateful. Below are some of the ways:

  1. Online worship services--We continue to worship with our church online.  Our pastor prepares and delivers sermons to an empty sanctuary so that we can worship as a family at home. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to preach to an empty sanctuary not being able to see the reactions on people's faces or whether anyone is even paying attention at all. I found that it's actually really helpful to pretend I am actually going to church and to shower and dress and do my hair as I would for a Sunday. Since I know there are more distractions at home, I found that I am actually more vigilant about preparing ahead of time. 
  2. Online Bible studies--Another one of our pastors continues to lead us in a study through the book of Ephesians. I am thankful for his commitment to the word and helping us to study it accurately. It must be so awkward to speak to an empty room and to prepare a power point that you show to no one, but we really are watching!
  3. Virtual Small Groups--I have been able to meet with my Bible study small group virtually and, actually, we have drawn into closer fellowship having deeper and more meaningful conversations. Sometimes, I feel so awkward when there is silence, so I just start talking, but silence isn't as awkward when you're online, haha. 
  4. Devotions--Our church leaders have been recording and sharing videos about their reflections through the Word in light of the current events. These reflections have been so encouraging because they are so real and open and honest. They share their struggles and thoughts and what verses God has been using to encourage them.  
  5. Children's Ministry--I think all of us involved in Children's Ministry are concerned for the children in our church. We don't want them to become spiritually impoverished during their time away from church. Each ministry has sought ways to connect with the kids. Chaeli's teachers have been recording videos of her lessons for us to watch at home. It has been great to see the lessons and the enthusiasm the teachers bring to their lessons. For the elementary kids, we have been recording videos every couple of days to share our thoughts from our studies through Ephesians and fun activities to do at home. The youth group has gone above and beyond, continuing to hold virtual youth group Fridays and Sundays as well as extra devotional time during the week. 
  6. Watch Parties and More--Beyond that there are watch parties and so much more that are available for us to participate in, though I haven't been able to take advantage of those yet.
I am so blessed, but still there is an inner longing to actually see my brothers and sisters and especially my Kinders in person. Virtual hugs and kisses to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment