Sunday, March 29, 2015

How I Spend my Free Time

As a homeschooling mama to five kids, I am frequently asked about what I do in my spare time. Ummm...SLEEP? Just kidding, ummm...well, I'm actually not kidding at all. You know those ads that offer miracle cures for getting a better night's sleep. Secretly, they're put on the market by people who are very concerned with controlling population growth. Seriously, if you want a better night's sleep, just have another kid. All my sleeping problems disappeared when I had my first baby in 2006.  Now I can sleep any time, any place, in any position, with any degree of brightness.  I hope I just saved you two dollars.

Now, back to the topic of how I spend my free time, when I am not sleeping, that is. This year, I have been busy making theatrical props and costumes! We allow our girls to take one of the many enrichment classes offered through Springs Charter School.  This year, both girls elected to take Musical Theater.  There are five theater classes for students in grades K-8, all taught by the one and only superly-awesome-amazingly-creative Mrs. Mary Hering. Each of the classes are working on a scene from a selected musical, but all the musicals will be put together into one performance. The classes are working on scenes from The Lion King, The Wizard of Oz, Cinderelly, You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The neat part is that all of the kids get to have supporting roles in the other classes' scenes.

It does take a village to put together one of these performances, from props, lights and backdrops to costumes, music, and make-up. My little part has been to help make some props/costumes from the quiet(?) and comfort(???) of my own home! While David would argue that this show is taking up too much of my time, it has been so much fun stirring up and releasing a few creative juices! That would certainly be reward in itself, but we are also receiving free admission as recompense for the sweat of my brow!
Candy bars for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
More Candy Bars.  I think the 3 Mousketeers is my favorite!
Drums for the Lion King!
Maggie in her bird mask.
Four sets of bird wings!
Last, but certainly not least, a Glinda the Good Witch costume for Mary.

1 comment:

  1. You are creative and have done an amazing job on each of the props and costumes, especially Glinda the Good Witch costume.

    ReplyDelete