Friday, February 27, 2015

I ran a half marathon!


Probably the craziest goal I set for 2015 was to run a half marathon. I mean really, isn't that something people do in their twenties?  Certainly not when they're approaching...ahem...forty!  The way I see it, I can't change careers.  I am a mom for life.  I can't buy a sports car.  I can't afford it and where would I put the kids?  So, instead, I set out to run 13.1 continuous miles.  I didn't tell anyone this, but had my sights set on 9:30 or faster miles.  I thought it would be nice to run somewhere new, so David planned a route for me from our house to the Back Bay and around the 10-mile Back Bay loop.  I was a little nervous even though I had printed directions and my cell phone that I would get lost.  (I have the worst sense of direction ever!)  Sure, enough, I took a few wrong turns and had to back-track.  I even had to call David once cause I missed a turn and ran into the marina.  In the end, I did make it and ran the whole way, though it was much harder than I expected.  The last two miles were especially difficult because I just wanted to be done running, but I set my mind on hymns and praise songs and those carried me through those last miles!

It took a little bit of work to calculate my time because of a little GPS glitch when I ran into the marina, but David says I finished the 13.1 miles in 2:01 moving time, or 9:14 miles!  Yay!  Better than I hoped for, helped by the pancake-flat terrain at the Back Bay!

I did learn a very important lesson from running my first half marathon. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  I didn't, and the recovery was miserable.  I had three vomiting sessions and severe digestive issues for a full 24 hours!  I had to take a bath, then a nap, and nearly missed taking Mary to a Build-A-Bear birthday party.  So, if you have your sights set on that half marathon, drink yo' water!! I will not be defeated.  I want to train and run the same route with proper hydration and not get sick!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! I am so proud of you. I don't know how you do everything that you do. So sorry you had the terrible recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you learned your lesson on hydration. It's nothing to be taken lightly as you now well know. It is also good to not think of your age. One of my quirky sayings that I like is "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional." I don't know how you do all that you do but you truly are an excellent role model and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete