Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Summer Equals Reorganization!

Part of summertime fun at the Mobleys always involves a bit of reorganization and spring cleaning! I had big plans for David to build cubbies in the laundry room for shoes and bags and jackets. When he realized my plan involved removing the door, he exercised his veto power. Instead, we settled on building cubbies for the entryway.  Bye-bye inexpensive do-it-yourself home improvement.  David was concerned that his carpentry skills were not up to par for the highly noticeable entryway, so we hired the cabinet maker who the University had hired to build other cabinetry in our home.

Because we have set back arches in our entryway, it was a bit tricky coming up with the final design. We tossed around so many iterations, played around with different dimensions, and finally settled on what you see in the picture. Everyone is so pleased with the new cubbies, especially me, since shoes and bags are being put away in their proper places with more consistency.

I decided to use the space between the cubbies to display our unique collection of hats, mostly handmade by my mother-in-law. At least this portion of the project was inexpensive, coming in under $15! I bought three pieces of craft board from Lowe's, painted them with clearance paint, and attached them to the wall with screws. (Yes, another excuse to use David's power tools!!)  I first tried screwing Bulldog clips into the boards for hanging the hats.  Right away, I realized this was not going to work out, since I was the only one who could hang the hats.  Add that to the list of things I need to do on a daily basis?  No, thank you!  So, I replaced the Bulldog clips with clothespins.  Now, everyone can retrieve his/her own hat and everyone, except Josiah, is capable of hanging them back up!

Then, of course, coloring had to be involved, so I made everyone a special sign, like this one, marking their territory!

1 comment: