Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Update on 2013 Goals

Well, it's time for a confession.  I fell behind in meeting the goals I set back in December.  The goal I set for April was to plan our backyard landscape. I really don't know what I was thinking!  In April, I pretty much just tried to keep my head above water, but I did have lots of time to think about the backyard.  Every time I even thought about it, I got completely overwhelmed, so I suggested to David that we just pour concrete everywhere!  This idea was quickly vetoed!  So, we had two companies come out to give us estimates.  Both companies came up with the same solution, one would have cost $15,000 and the other $20,000!  YIKES!  I think we'll do it ourselves, thank you very much!  So, we have a rough plan, which is still awaiting approval from our homeowner's association. 

On the image below created in painstaking detail by David, the dark grey areas represent existing concrete, and the light grey areas represent where we will put pavers of some sort.  The green areas are raised beds for vegetables.  The blue areas are in ground planters.  Inbetween the raised beds, I am hoping for an area of plants that attract hummingbirds and an area of plants that attract butterflies.  All the kids' play equipment is going to go on the side of the house with grape vines and citrus trees behind it.  The only other plants we are 100 percent sure about are Western Redbud and Bougainvillea, both of which are attractive and drought tolerant:)  We also hope to invest in a patio table, a bbq, and a retractable awning for shade.  I think this is going to be a BIG summer project!


My goal for May was not so lofty: begin to teach Mary and Maggie how to play the piano. I started last week.  So, now I can declare my goals for April and May complete! 


1 comment:

  1. Looks like it will be very nice and efficient use of space.

    ReplyDelete